Saturday, March 16, 2013

First post from Umea

                          [An evening view of Umea, captured from my apartment]

Hey guys! This is my first post in this new blog. Today is a special day for me and I wanted to do something memorable so I thought of creating this new blog. This blog would not only bank my memories in Umea but would also serve as a guide to would-be travelers to this beautiful Northern Swedish city - Umea.

I landed in Umea on 17th January 2013 at exactly 05:35 PM. Yes, it was dark and the mercury was close to -20 degrees (it then touched -27 degrees later at night). I am a curious traveler and I usually do my homework before visiting a new place. So as usual I read some blogs, Wikipedia,  travel sites etc. etc. Since you are going through this blog, I guess you are no different :-)

Today, I completed my 2 months here and I feel now am competent enough to post my views on Umea ;-). Since you have been looking around for random stuffs about Umea, you would have already read about the "city of birches", "European Capital of Culture-2014", "Dark & extremely cold winter", "Northern lights", "Semla", "lots of potatoes", "Moose" & the "Ice Hotel" may be. I read them as well :-P.

A lot of the things that you see over the internet are compiled by Europeans or Americans or the Englishmen. We Asians are unusually lazy when it comes to doing something that doesn't pay well :-). You see am utterly bored today, so sorry fellas, I am breaking away from the herd. The idea behind this blog is to help fellow Indians get to know the inside story of how it feels to be in Umea. Trust me, its way different from what you are told by citizens of other nationals in their blogs and we all know how true are travel sites :-).

Stockholm is usually synonymous with Sweden, when it comes to the rest of the world and usually everyone talks about their stay in Stockholm when you inform them that you will be visiting Umea, but trust me, Umea and Stockholm can be as different as Delhi and Chennai. So please feel free to write to me if you would like to know anything specific that is not covered in this blog.That way, you can have your answers and I can have a friend :-)

Anyways, am looking forward to a good long stay here and I hope you will enjoy reading my experiences :-). I would try to compile as many things as I can but then am still a naive traveler and I have miles to go!

So follow me when I take you around on a small trip of Umea and decide for yourself. Loads of Love & God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment